Given that police are increasingly issuing subpoenas to Twitter, join us in requesting twitter change their data retention policy. [Hashtag #NOLOGS] - @wikileaks
This is a "WikiLeaks News Update", a news update of stories relating directly to WikiLeaks and also freedom of information, transparency, cybersecurity, and freedom of expression.
Activists take legal action over fabricated Embassy cable
- In Egypt, several activists have filed legal action against newspaper Al-Wafd over the publication of a translation of a diplomatic cable originally published by WikiLeaks, to which names of activists not present in the original document were added, so as to make it appear these specific people had received “secret funds” from the United States.
Original document published by WikiLeaks: 08CAIRO941
Interview with creator of the play 'The Radicalisation of Bradley Manning'
- In an interview about the play that will be staged in April at a school once attended by Bradley Manning in Wales, playwright Tim Price expressed admiration for the alleged whistleblower:
“I've been completely fascinated by the whole Wikileaks saga and the Arab Spring and how technology has been the prime activists' tool other than conversations in the street. (…) If he is guilty then I think he is a hero because he has proven to the world that not only is finance, religion, media, manufacturing and politics transnational, but so is our morality.”
It is abundantly clear that SOPA is a direct reaction to the WikiLeaks case
- Techcrunch published ‘SOPA, Freedom, And The Invisible War’, an opinion article on recent developments relating to the proposed copyright bill SOPA.
Current bid for WikiLeaks Truck is US $7,600.00
- The WikiLeaks Truck is up for sale on ebay to fund an expansion of the project. WikiLeaks has referred to it as “the most honest ebay auction EVER”, as tracking bugs possibly installed by the Government are mentioned in its candid description.
Only 2123 new members needed for Friends of WikiLeaks to reach critical mass
- According to a tweet by WikiLeaks. This would mean in 4 days, WikiLeaks' activist social network wlfriends.org gained almost 1000 new members. Join today!
Collected WikiLeaks accolades
- WLPress put together a list of accolades received by WikiLeaks as an organization and some of its members individually.
Upcoming WikiLeaks Dates (updated)
January 11: Julian Assange will have been under house arrest without charge for 400 days. Please visit Justice4Assange.com for more information on the extradition case.
January 14: Bradley Manning will have been in prison for 600 days.
January 16: A recommendation on whether Bradley Manning faces court-martial is expected. Final decision has no date set.
February 2: Julian Assange’s extradition appeal will be heard by the Supreme Court. Hearing will likely last 2 days. A support demonstration is planned outside of the Supreme Court, starting at 9AM.
May 23: Julian Assange will speak at the Enterprise Information Management Congress 2012 (Netherlands).
396 days of unlawful financial blockade.
393 days under house arrest without charge.
- Show your support for Julian Assange at the Supreme Court of London, February 1st, at 9 AM.
- Nominate Julian Assange and WikiLeaks for the Nobel Peace Prize 2012: campaign website.
- Send at least one of the several call to action draft letters addressed to European organizations and Members of the European Parliament requesting action over the unjust treatment of Julian Assange.
590 days detained in military jail.
- A challenge proposed by the Bradley Manning Support Network: Stand with Bradley until his trial is over - pledge a monthly donation for the length of the trial. For more details see bradleymanning.org
- Liberté Info started a campaign to make whistleblower Rudolf Elmer’s trial an international issue. The campaign page is constantly updated with new developments on his case. Readers are encouraged to share.